7.29.2005

speaking of the closet

I've always had mixed feelings about outing people. Wait, that's not true. Other people have always had mixed feelings about outing people. I have barely palpable qualms occasionally, but I find it to be such a rare practice (mainstream media and celeb magazines totally willing to stalk the straights, but rarely do they run front page photos of Jody Foster making out with her "nanny" (...oh wait i mean "personal assistant"...I mean my "closest friend and business partner who lives with me, with whom I'm raising a family, and who I occasionally make passionate love to.")

Anyway, if there is anyone who does deserve outing, it's right wing anti-gay activists who duke it with the devil on the side. And so there is blogactive. Where you can find out about Rich Santorum's gay assistant and Rep. David Dreier. I don't know if claiming these closet cases as "gay" is entirely useful -- we end up claiming sleazes like Spokane's mayor Jim West.

In some ways, I don't consider these people to be gay at all. They definitely have sex with men (so few far right wing lesbians have been outed so far, maybe that should be my project), but they also are self-hating, angry, dangerous people who have little to do with the community, the politics, and the identity that make up what being "gay" is. I think we should out them as people who have sex with men, while trying to make life difficult for other people who do -- the real gays.

Anyway, if we are sniffing out the fey amongst the right wing. . . has anyone taken a close look at John G. Roberts bio? Not married until he was in his early forties (and just as he was starting to climb into the upper echelons of the right wing) and two adopted kids. Normally that wouldn't raise my eyebrows too high, but since that Luther Vandross thing slipped by me I've been really alert, and I don't know of another Republican who is that cute or has a haircut that good. I'm not saying he is cutting edge, but still there's something boyish..."I just bought a fixer-upper in the Catskills" about him, no? For god's sake he played Peppermint Patty in an all-boys high school production!

I'm not the only one who thinks so: <...manhattan offender>

1 Comments:

Blogger Who's the dourest of them all? said...

What if this is all a part of their wicked strategy? I fear that. What weird card would they be playing if he "came out" as ex-gay? Holy cats.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home