9.06.2005

kanye calls bush out; mike meyers blinks uncomfortably.

If you live on the West coast and NBC robbed you of the opportunity of hearing some honest commentary, you can watch Kanye West's statements about media portrayals, Iraq, and President Bush at Crooks and Liars

That's the second time in two weeks Kanye made a fan out of me. During his special All Eyes On Kanye West, the young rapper delivered this call for hip-hop to end it's anti-gay kick (even after a publicist tried to interupt him twice -- which is not reflected in the transcript)

" If you see something and you don't want to be that because there's such a negative connotation toward it, you try to separate yourself from it so much that it made me homophobic by the time I was through high school. Anybody that was gay I was like, 'Yo, get away from me.' And like Tupac said, 'Started hangin' with the thugs,' and you look up and all my friends were really thugged out. It's like I was racing to try to find that constant masculine role model right there, right in front of me. I would use the word 'fag' and always look down upon gays. But then my cousin told me that another one of my cousins was gay, and I loved him, he's one of my favorite cousins. And at that point it was kind of like a turning point when I was like, 'Yo, this my cousin, I love him and I been discriminating against gays.'

But everybody in hip-hop discriminates against gay people. Matter of fact, the exact opposite word of 'hip-hop,' I think, is 'gay.' Like yo, you play a record and if it's wack, 'That's gay, dog!' And I wanna just come on TV and just tell my rappers, just tell my friends, 'Yo, stop it fam.' "



Fuck yeah on both fronts Kanye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home