9.26.2005

returned.

On Thursday i took the 4/5 to grand central. Retreated out the nearest exit and found myself standing in front of the airport shuttle I required. Bought a ticket, boarded a bus 1/2 hour earlier then I had planned to catch.



Riding through midtown, new rock n' roll blaring in my ear, it occurred to me that I had, in that exact instant and not before, fallen in love with new york. It felt like a new crush. Or like the dawning moment when a good friend becomes your crush. It came in a wave.
When I got to the airport a very nice lady named wanda got me a standby ticket on the earlier flight and I boarded an hour early and content.

It was a complete travel success that not even the worse turbulence I've experienced in years or the woman who insisted on hiss-breathing with her hands over her ears in terror, could dislodge. I made an early bus! I kept thinking. I got an earlier flight! This is luck, this is skill, this is navigating the world.

1 Comments:

Blogger mp said...

Couple things Good Golly:

Passed through New York and briefly thought of you... not sure how... just a smirk and a glance down the 4/5 to grand central.

Saw Robert Wilson speak. He mentioned Susan Sontag with the richness only a theatre director can possess.

He described her actions as calculated, exact, full of performance but authenticity.

Every time she spoke:
Crowd silences.
Extended Pause.
Match.
Cigarette.
Match to cigarette.
Begin.

He said she was a 'vixen to the end.'

Not sure that sums anything up... but he was trying to compliment.

He spoke with such reverence I could have sworn he was straight:)

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home