9.04.2005

this is the america I know




all photos from the Associated Press


Over and over again, I've heard people outside the hurricane affected area declare "I can't believe this is America!"

Nothing about the disparity in planning for the poor, the pace of rescue efforts, or the desperate situation of such a large portion of the population in New Orleans surprises me. This is the America many of us are aware of, the truth about the disparity and ugliness that defines our caste system. The slow reaction of the federal government only reflects, for me, the larger population's denial of the state of their union. However, none of my knowledge, beliefs, or cynicism prepared me for the images and stories I have heard from the hurricane affected areas. This is the America I thought I knew, but had not felt so strongly in quite some time. I could not be more hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home